#FastingFridays: Boost Your Health & Your Productivity
You've likely come across some information about "fasting" lately - whether it's Intermittent Fasting (IF) or more prolonged fasts (e.g. 24 hrs once a week) - it's a trending buzz topic that is gaining lots of attention in both the world of dietary management and sports & fitness nutrition.
I hate diet fads (no, we aren't all celiac), but I am standing behind this particular "craze" about fasting. In fact, I'm shouting it from the rooftops - because I've come to realize that we're all living in this weird alternative universe about diets, calories, and what's "healthy".
Dr. Jason Fung & Megan Ramos, founders of the Intensive Dietary Management Clinic, are making waves in the world of diet and nutrition, and it's time you listened in.
Well, only if you want to say goodbye to those "diets" that are otherwise wreaking havoc on your body, mind & soul - with absolutely zero long-term success.
I'm not a doctor, nor do I have a PhD - so don't take my word for it....
Here are some of the most interesting and profound scientific research studies that have begun to shift my mindset on diets:
- Why we're always hungry: If you eat all the time, you will get more hungry. If you eat less, you will get less hungry.
- How IF changes your hormones and enhances fat loss: watch here.
- Fasting builds, not burns muscle. This one is my favourite because whenever I mention the word fasting to my guy friends, they immediately share their worry for losing their muscles...#classic
While the world of fasting can be downright scary at first, it's a journey worth exploring to see if it's right for you. That's why my partner in crime, Sandra Augustin, & I invite you to join us for #FastingFridays. It's simple, a 24-hour fast once a week - here's a great read explaining why it's less crazy (+ more LIFE-BOOSTING) than you're assuming.
How will you enjoy your Fasting Friday this week?
- More time --> less time buying, preparing, eating, cleaning up food = more time to do what you love (or, okay, work).
- Save money --> you could spend $75+ on a daily juice "cleanse" or you could ACTUALLY regenerate your blood cells (for free).
- Less anxiety --> quit stressing about exactly what & when to eat which particular "diet meal" concoction of low-fat CRAP.
So, here's the dealio: I invite you to FIRST ask your doctor or medical practitioner (Naturopath, Nutritional Therapist, etc.) for their final 'a-okay' for YOU to go on a one-day fast. In very rare cases, or if you're working with complex medical issues/on certain medications - this may not be a go for you.
Once you get the go-ahead - come join us as we explore the world that opens up when you give fasting a try, one daily fast each week - one week at a time. We'll be sharing tips & support to help you out.
Use hashtag #FastingFridays to share your experiences.
P.S. Mindfully Edible is hosting a Fasting/IF Retreat in California in October and Megan Ramos from the IDM Clinic will be the guest facilitator leading the fasting workshops! Check out more details here.